Pipilotti Rist

Pipilotti Rist is a filmmaker, video artist, and projection artist. She attended art school in Vienna, and in Basel, and has taught at UCLA. Her work is filled with feminist themes, human sexuality, and a careful (and sometime playful) use of color.

Ever is Over All from 1997 is one of her most famous pieces. I saw it in a gallery at one point and quite enjoyed the sound (particularly of the glass), and the overall quirkiness of the piece. The playfulness of it is really interesting, particularly viewed in a gallery amongst other, more “serious” pieces. In some ways it almost makes the piece more approachable while still dealing with heavy themes.

This piece, Tyngdkraft, var min van, (Gravity Be My Friend) from 2007 is much more abstract, but appears absolutely beautiful. Looking at the photos, I can tell this is the sort of artwork that must be seen in person to be fully appreciated.

All or Nothing (alles oder nichts) from 2010 uses similar abstract visuals, but places them amongst commonplace things. This use of readymade objects to surround and normalize the abstract work is wonderful, and very aesthetically pleasing. This is another one I’d like to have the opportunity to see in person.