Jason Salavon

Jason Salavon was born in 1970, and got his MFA at SAIC in Chicago. His work deals with the parallels between art and technology, information, and culture. He is unique because he writes and programs his own works often, making his art exist parallel to the world of IT or computer science.

I was immediately struck by the seriousness of the work that Salavon puts into his pieces, while still being able to critique the things around him, and perhaps pull the “arts” down a notch, closer to the hands of the status quo. An example of this is Golem (Printer), a software and printer which automatically creates abstract paintings. It’s hilarious, beautiful, and the software is written so well that the paintings appear to be created individually and painstakingly by human hands. The concept of Golem stretched across many mediums, with projections and browsers also doing the same thing.

The Song of The Century mixes together 27 covers of The Beatles’ Yesterday into one messy amalgamation. I’m a huge fan of manipulation of popular music to create something new, so this is definitely one of my favorite pieces of Salavon’s.

Everything, All at Once is definitely one of my new favorite pieces from anyone, ever. By building a device that finds the mean color of any video input, Salavon turns the television into a monochromatic experience. The interactivity of the piece, with some galleries allowing users to flip through the stations of Cable television is fantastic.